Compassionate Support for Transformative Birth Experiences
An inner calling
If you feel a deep inner calling to assist women on their transformative journey to motherhood, then I invite you to join me in investing in yourself. This boutique doula course is designed to cultivate new understandings within your body and soul while equipping you with practical knowledge and skills to become an exceptional and compassionate doula.
The philosophy of” Birth as a Journey” compels us to seek out strategies for navigating the unknown. While knowledge and research can provide a measure of reassurance for facing the unknowns of childbirth, they cannot predict the unique path of each mother’s personal birth journey. This leaves us with the question: how can we prepare ourselves and the mothers for the enigmatic and unpredictable nature of childbirth?
Birth as a journey
Birth in our modern culture is often described as a medical event, one that can ideally be managed or controlled. “Birth as a Journey” sees birth as a rite of passage. Pregnancy, birth and becoming parents are all part of a very deep transformation – often the most profound one people have in their lives. This is a time of self-discovery and personal growth; as the physical, mental and spiritual worlds all meet with great intensity and surprise.
In this unique course you will first experience and embody for yourself the tools, ideas and processes that can prepare parents in a very deep, meaningful and practical way. Only then can you become a mentor; one that can offer the kind of support that mothers and fathers really need as they face the unknown and embark on their mysterious journey of birth.
What you will learn:
- Understand the connection between touch, movement and support techniques through a variety of body modalities
- Learn the anatomy and physiology of pregnancy and birth
- Experience through practices like yoga, Qigong, and bellydance support a woman’s body and prepare for birth
- Learn exercises to teach and prepare your clients for childbirth
- Embody intuitive touch
- The art of being fully present
- Workshops of alternative therapies used in the world of birth: Reflexology, Paula method, Spinning Babies, Rebozo
- Guest lectures with doctors, midwives, pelvic floor physiotherapist, lactation consultant, working doulas and marketing experts
- Developing listening and empathy skills
- Learn how to address concerns and fears before and during childbirth
- Supporting the cooperation between partners and navigating expectations
- Helping parents create an effective dialogue with the medical team
- Supporting fathers in the delivery room and understand their unique needs and experiences
- Archetypes as a map for self-discovery
- The Hero’s Journey
- Storytelling as a teaching tool
- The Labyrinth
- Art as a tool for tapping into the subconscious
- Guided Imagination
- What are the steps you personally need to take to start on your path to becoming a doula
- Create your own childbirth preparation course, so that you can prepare parents for birth as well as be their doula.
- Receive guided support as you embark on your journey and start going to births during the last months of the course
I am an experienced doula of 25 years. I am a co-creator of “Parparim B’beten” Prenatal Center in Jerusalem where have been mentoring parents with childbirth education and prenatal yoga for over 20 years. I have been teaching this doula training “Birth as a Journey” (Leida k’masa) in Hebrew for the past 6 years. Now for the first time I am offering the training in English. The course will be from November – June, once a week, and will take place in Parparim B’beten in Jerusalem.
If you are curious to take the very first step on this journey of a lifetime, contact me to set up an initial interview to see if this is the doula course for you.
On my own professional journey, agendas were dropped. If birth is free to do what birth must do, then perhaps so is the woman who is experiencing it. We can not control it, but we can learn so much about ourselves. If we can soften the judgment and then add a little self-compassion, acceptance and trust, then like the ripple effect it can influence our mothering, our children, our world. It may start with birth, but it goes on for a lifetime.